Living the UK means that February is really not a great month. It’s cold, rains all the time, and it’s still dark in the mornings. However, it’s not all doom and gloom. Here are some good news stories to brighten up the rubbish weather.
- A man has won $400,000 in the Virginia lottery after having the numbers come to him in a dream.
- A new drug aiming to work as a ‘heroine vaccine’ has shown promise in trials on mice. The drug stops heroine from having any effects which could help combat addiction and avoid overdose deaths.
- Finn the dog is helping children at Ashcroft school in Cheshire. The school has many students with complex needs such as ADHD and Finn has become everyone’s new best friend, roaming the halls and sitting under students’ desks.
- The last known ‘dancing bears’ in Nepal have been rescued, with the help of the Jane Goodall Institute and World Animal Protection. Although the bears are obviously still traumatised from their captivity, rescuers are hopeful that they’ll adjust well to their new life.
- Yacoba Tete-Marmon, Nana Ohenewaa Kuffour and Maame Bema Baffour Awuah all faced bullying at school in Ghana due to their autism, but now they’re walking the runway and winning awards for it.
- Wales is following in the footsteps of Scotland and Ireland by looking to ban the use of wild animals in circuses. The RSPCA said they were “absolutely delighted” that Wales is trying to outlaw this “outdated and cruel practice”.
- A quick thinking American Airlines employee saved two girls from a human trafficking plot. The girls had been bought tickets to New York for a ‘modelling job’ by a suspicious online source who deleted all of his social media profiles immediately after being contacted by the airline.
- Refugees in Germany are being provided with counselling training in order to help fellow asylum seekers, as part of a program run by Médecins Sans Frontières to help combat the lack of support previously available.
- Inmates at Central California Women’s Facility are being given the opportunity to train as beauty therapists whilst in prison, massively increasing their opportunities for work once they are released.
- Tesla’s Elon Musk is turning 50,000 homes in South Australia into solar power generators at no cost to the residents in an attempt to help lower electricity bills and stop frequent electricity ‘blackouts’.
That’s just a few of the good news stories I found, proving once again that the world really isn’t such an awful place. Hopefully they’ll pick you up a little bit in the way they did for me, and serve as a reminder to look for the positives whenever possible. Drink some water, read a book, call/text someone you love. Until next time, take care of yourself x
Read more about these good news stories here: